Accessibility on the Web

This lesson was about accessibility of web-pages.  I chose the screen reader tool because my wife has some vision issues.  While she can still read, she has to enlarge the text quite a bit.  The screen reader might be something for her to consider.

In this lesson, the key elements to learn involved adding absolute links, formatting them and putting in anchors to jump around on the page.  As always, I thought the text itself was going to be the most difficult part.  Once I got started, it went smoothly.  The formatting of the text is where I had 3 minor errors.

1.  I put in <p> tags before my <h2> tags.  Don’t do this.

2.  I forgot to put quotes around my id names.  Don’t do this either.

3.  I had a missing </p> tag to close out a paragraph.  Especially don’t do this.

I was able to find all of these mistakes thanks to the validator and the sample pages.  The validator led me to the lines I had with errors.  I couldn’t always see what I was missing.  By looking at the sample, I could see what they had that I didn’t (or didn’t have that I did).  This allowed me to fix my errors.

I am getting more and more comfortable with the Dreamweaver software.  I’m getting more comfortable with my text.  I hope the rest of the semester goes as well.

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/josephbodnar/502/502.html

Advertisements

Typography on the Web

This project linked a page to our website.  Click on the Netiquette page link and you can see the page I created.

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/josephbodnar/502/502.html

The first thing I did was to search on Netiquette rules to get an idea of things to include.  I decided I wanted NETIQUETTE to be an acronym to help readers remember these rules.  Thus, I chose 10 rules that could be represented by each letter in the word.  Some were quite easy, while others required a little ingenuity.  Afterwards, I then just wrote what each of the 10 rules meant.  The last thing, was to work on the formatting for the page.

Once again, Dr. Snelson’s videos were extremely helpful.  I could not get my callout box to correctly float to the right.  I also ran into the problem of my footer moving to the top of the page.  No matter what I tried, nothing worked.  Then, I remember there was a video on fixing problems.  Good thing, cause I don’t think I ever would have figured it out on my own.  How did the first person who did figure it out do so?  Like the number of licks in a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.

As I move forward, I am sensing, while we will be learning a lot more about Dreamweaver, the page formatting will be the easiest part.  I think what will be the toughest part for me is to determine what actual information to put on the page.  Once I can figure that out, the modules tend to guide themselves.  Oh, and let’s not forget all the reading!

Getting Started with CSS in Dreamweaver

Once again, I started the week thinking, “I’ll never be able to do this!”  And, once again, I ended the project thinking, “What was I thinking???  This was easy!”  OK, not easy, but not as difficult as I imagined.

Again, a lot of reading.  This time, I had the right pages.  That helped.  Of course, the biggest help was the videos from Dr. Snelson.  I watched the videos as I did each section, pausing at times so I could do that part for my assignment.  By piecemealing the videos this way, it made it easier and I didn’t have to go back and review the videos a second time.

I really one to thank Dr. Snelson for these videos.  I can be impatient, so I did find myself saying (at times), “Come on, Doc.  Spit it out.”  However, without them, I am not sitting here on day three of the assignment writing a wrap up in my blog.

One more project for the week.  I’ll probably never be able to do it 😉

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/josephbodnar/502/502.html

Getting Started with Dreamweaver, HTML, & XHTML

This was my first experience with web designing.  There was some initial difficulties.  The reading assignments for Dreamweaver CS5:  The Missing Manual in the syllabus did not match my table of contents page.  I had problems with creating the 502 folder on the remote site.  I could not get the bullet listing to format correctly.  All of these problems were solved with the help of the instructor or fellow students.  The tutorial videos were a great help, but required a second viewing of some in order to help when I was trying to create the web page.

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/josephbodnar/502/plain502.html